With only 6 weeks until spring arrives, here are 6 ways to jump-start the body, mind and spirit:
1. Move: If you dislike doing exercise on your own, sample a yoga class, take a dance class or join a hiking/walking group. In the building where I live they have occasional wine and tap dance gatherings. I walked by once and witnessed a room full of laughing faces. It looked like fun.
2. Cut down on sugar: Try eating a clementine or a sliced banana with crushed walnuts instead of that piece of pastry. Cook sweet potatoes with your meals—they are easy to prepare and as sweet as any dessert, only loaded with nutrients. Instead of ice cream, have a scoop of yogurt with coconut and blueberries. I like yogurt with a little sprinkle of granola on top. Use your imagination.
3. Get outside: No time to do it? Just open the door, walk for 10 minutes, turn around and come back. There, that’s 20 minutes of cardio done: good for your heart, excellent for sluggish circulation, and good for the lifting the spirit. Get a walking buddy if you need some accountability.
4. Stimulate your mind: Join a book club, go to a lecture, or take a class to learn something new. Libraries are usually full of free opportunities—take a look at yours. Mine has a Spanish conversation class every Wednesday evening that I will attend.
5. Socialize: Take a friend out for tea or cappuccino for no other reason than to connect. It is good for the soul. Have a small gathering for dinner with people you do not normally socialize with. It can open your mind to different points of view.
6. See an acupuncturist. We are skilled at getting the circulation moving. We call sluggish circulation “qi stagnation.” There are easy ways to remedy it with a few needles, cupping, some guasha, Chinese massage, or moxa. It is good to prepare the body for spring when just like the sap in the trees, our bodies circulation starts to move. Get a head start. A good massage can work wonders as well.
Of course there are myriad ways for each of us to give our spirits, bodies and mind a boost or even a burst. Be creative. Start now to prepare for the next season. You might just find yourself headed in a new direction for the summer and beyond.
Inspiring. Definitely a plan.
Beth Williams says
Hi, Maureen. I’ve been practicing Crane Style Yoga AND Mindfulness in Movement for almost 20 years! I never tire of your gentle instruction. I’m still living in the past with my VCR and loving every minute of it. Thank you, Beth
Thank you. Maureen! Your blog brings a joy and a light-heartedness that is so needed in these times! I personally love your suggestions. Here’s to your health!
Maureen Goss says
That is so great to hear, Beth. I made those videos with exactly that in mind. Thank you for the affirmation!
Thank you MAUREEN for this post. What a great way to begin Spring. I love all your messages because they are so simple, inspirational, and do-able. I, like Beth, also have your Crane Style Yoga and Mindfulness tape from years ago. It is as relevant and real today as it was back then. … Absolutely timeless.